PDA

View Full Version : Multicharts 8.5 w/LMAX - first week

AlinaErFlow
10-30-2015,
Thought I'd post my experiences of the release variant of 8.5 this week to save other people trouble:

- I didn't experience a single data freeze this week, but it doesn't mean they fixed this problem, I'd still restart every night if money is important to you. However I don't trust this new shutdown strategy resumption feature... it didn't seem right on mine (the strategy re-opened thinking it was flat and zero, when it wasn't). I will still personally use the manual strategy position set when activating auto. MC has always been crap when it comes to advanced auto trading features - I always assume it has it wrong if a shutdown has ever occurred.

- They have changed 1 ct to a micro ct with the LMAX plugin, which is good since occasionally I would get a fill on my exit for most of my position except a few micro lots and MC 8 was unable to cope with this, leaving the pitiful remainder of the position open and messing up the trading report.

- Again, the bloody pt resolution has changed for certain pairs, likely due to the support of micros. EURUSD, EURJPY and USDJPY have all dropped by a decimal point so 70 pts on the EURUSD now = 7 on a MC profit target amount. I failed to alter the EU for my trailing stop this week and I drew down as a result since it was looking for a floor activation 10 times higher than it should have been and since it was a ranging market until Thursday, I dumped plenty of cash. Normally happens in some form or another with an upgrade.

- The trailing stop, for me, is completely borked for optimization. It works fine on live and strategy performance, but not at all on optimization. It gives very strange results. I have informed support as this is a big deal for many of us.

- The feed is a bit smoother with this variant through LMAX, but far from perfect (annoyingly still not as smooth as the prorealtime/IT-Finance skin they have) - so I still advise use of broker side stop orders for position entry. Though I would always advise those...

- Optimization seems a tad faster. Not much though...

- They have improved the commission on backtesting meaning you don't have to derive an average value on the average notional for your data set any more if your broker charges basis pts on the underlying - VERY helpful.

- I'm yet to use all the Delta volume malarky stuff.

- I believe they have improved Renko so that the backtest formation is true to live this time round (it was always a little off), I'm yet to test this though as I don't use Renko any more.

alessandra.bosi
10-31-2015,
Good writeup.
Do you you use EasyLanguage or the MC.NET variant?
I'd guess .net works with LMAX as well?

MC. NET would allow me to easily port stuff from Ninja to MC
as they are both C#.
LMAX is the main attraction of MC for me.
What has your time been like on LMAX?

Albertkn
10-31-2015,
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquid validity http://softwaretechie.com/image/png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAAwAAAAMBAMAAAC kW0HUAAAAKlBMVEV fn7v7 9jj0X////Ozs6SzV6QzVSZ11p8rlqTzV LxVmPzVOW1FiQxGmJVuW7AAAAN0lEQVQI12NggABmYyAwYGAWF FQUdABRSiBKSUlLEUiphd5sAlHbjgeBBVUVEUqgGlyAwAFqFgC tDgqhzNS gQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg== (http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-software/168160-multicharts-8-5-w-lmax-first-week.html#post2093926)
Good writeup.
Do you you use EasyLanguage or the MC.NET variant?
I'd guess .net works with LMAX as well?

MC. NET would allow me to easily port stuff from Ninja to MC
as they are both C#.
LMAX is the main attraction of MC for me.
What has your time been like on LMAX?

I use the EL setup as I was able to get my underlying function to work on EL as I wanted in the end, though I could be tempted to eventually move to .NET depending on how things go this year - I am just using a mid floor, high % trail to exit most of my trades now, which is inelegant. I understand all broker plugins work the same with .NET as with EL. The main advantage of MC for me is the same as you - LMAX. MC isn't a bad package, but I don't think it does a single thing better than any other software out there! Ninja is overall a superior package.

Having said that, I wasn't particularly happy that they borked the optimisation during this upgrade cycle... it had been in beta for a long time and this seemed pretty fundamental. They have now fixed this according to support.

I've enjoyed my time with LMAX - my account manager is very good and withdrawals are fast. They use Worldpay to handle transfers though and therefore their bank tfr deposits tend to take over a day, which is a shame. Their execution, as far as I've noticed, is at least as good as IBs. Stop orders routinely get filled at exactly your price even during news bars. I am very happy with them, it's nice to have a UK based broker with their business model and an API feed. Their CFDs are a bit pricey though, but I don't trade cash indices. Also some of their Australasian pairs seem to have a rather dubious spread given their ECN claim... I'd have to check the NZDEUR again before I gave them a full thumbs up.

Also if you trade over 50 million you get a discount on the 2.5 basis pts default (I was paying 1 basis pt on IB) and this can be individually negotiated. Credit to Shakone for this tip, they didn't mention it to me!

allhbmpchf
10-31-2015,
Quote:

Originally Posted by random12345 http://softwaretechie.com/image/png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAAwAAAAMBAMAAAC kW0HUAAAAKlBMVEV fn7v7 9jj0X////Ozs6SzV6QzVSZ11p8rlqTzV LxVmPzVOW1FiQxGmJVuW7AAAAN0lEQVQI12NggABmYyAwYGAWF FQUdABRSiBKSUlLEUiphd5sAlHbjgeBBVUVEUqgGlyAwAFqFgC tDgqhzNS gQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg== (http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-software/168160-multicharts-8-5-w-lmax-first-week.html#post2093960)
I use the EL setup as I was able to get my underlying function to work on EL as I wanted in the end, though I could be tempted to eventually move to .NET depending on how things go this year - I am just using a mid floor, high % trail to exit most of my trades now, which is inelegant. I understand all broker plugins work the same with .NET as with EL. The main advantage of MC for me is the same as you - LMAX. MC isn't a bad package, but I don't think it does a single thing better than any other software out there! Ninja is overall a superior package.

Having said that, I wasn't particularly happy that they borked the optimisation during this upgrade cycle... it had been in beta for a long time and this seemed pretty fundamental. They have now fixed this according to support.

I've enjoyed my time with LMAX - my account manager is very good and withdrawals are fast. They use Worldpay to handle transfers though and therefore their bank tfr deposits tend to take over a day, which is a shame. Their execution, as far as I've noticed, is at least as good as IBs. Stop orders routinely get filled at exactly your price even during news bars. I am very happy with them, it's nice to have a UK based broker with their business model and an API feed. Their CFDs are a bit pricey though, but I don't trade cash indices. Also some of their Australasian pairs seem to have a rather dubious spread given their ECN claim... I'd have to check the NZDEUR again before I gave them a full thumbs up.

Also if you trade over 50 million you get a discount on the 2.5 basis pts default (I was paying 1 basis pt on IB) and this can be individually negotiated. Credit to Shakone for this tip, they didn't mention it to me!

Cheers for the detailed reply, I took a closer look at LMAX the other
day as a spread comparison cropped up on another site, hence my post here.
LMAX do seem to be gaining ground in reducing costs, 0.3 seems to be typical EU spread at peak hours which is pretty good to say the least...
I do find MB good, but the LMAX spreads are hard to beat.

I've never used MC, I'm hoping Ninja add LMAX support in NT8.
They are quite strict about which brokers they support.
Why they don't support LMAX when support is growing is anybodies guess.
Not sure if FIX / API hack can get around it yet.

Its all up in the air atm for me, working on taking advantage of MB's rebate /
liquidity provider options to reduce costs.
Far from sure I can overcome the various obstacles and how the impact on the
performance, not something that can be backtested either which makes things harder.

Although the lower direct costs with LMAX would probably cover most of the
savings of MB's rebate scheme without doing anything.
Costs are far from a game breaker for me anyway, although cost reduction is never a bad thing...

AlfonsoKn
11-01-2015,
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquid validity http://softwaretechie.com/image/png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAAwAAAAMBAMAAAC kW0HUAAAAKlBMVEV fn7v7 9jj0X////Ozs6SzV6QzVSZ11p8rlqTzV LxVmPzVOW1FiQxGmJVuW7AAAAN0lEQVQI12NggABmYyAwYGAWF FQUdABRSiBKSUlLEUiphd5sAlHbjgeBBVUVEUqgGlyAwAFqFgC tDgqhzNS gQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg== (http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-software/168160-multicharts-8-5-w-lmax-first-week.html#post2094464)
Cheers for the detailed reply, I took a closer look at LMAX the other
day as a spread comparison cropped up on another site, hence my post here.
LMAX do seem to be gaining ground in reducing costs, 0.3 seems to be typical EU spread at peak hours which is pretty good to say the least...
I do find MB good, but the LMAX spreads are hard to beat.

I've never used MC, I'm hoping Ninja add LMAX support in NT8.
They are quite strict about which brokers they support.
Why they don't support LMAX when support is growing is anybodies guess.
Not sure if FIX / API hack can get around it yet.

Its all up in the air atm for me, working on taking advantage of MB's rebate /
liquidity provider options to reduce costs.
Far from sure I can overcome the various obstacles and how the impact on the
performance, not something that can be backtested either which makes things harder.

Although the lower direct costs with LMAX would probably cover most of the
savings of MB's rebate scheme without doing anything.
Costs are far from a game breaker for me anyway, although cost reduction is never a bad thing...

Yeah I remember Ninja commenting that they were considering it and it never went further. Shame.

I use the UJ for short term bets - max of 36 trades a day and the LMAX spread and fill is consistently bloody good.

I use long term trading for the EU so the cost doesn't really matter to me as much there, though of course a tighter spread guarantees the performance of static stops and floor activated trails much better... and I currently use both in the EU.