Thread: Evernote: Feature Parity Lacking Between Platforms

Evernote: Feature Parity Lacking Between Platforms

I have been a pretty hardcore Evernote user, and borderline evangelist about the product. Most of my friends have asked me about my organization techniques, and the conversation inevitably leads to a mention of Evernote, along with other productivity tools. Over the years, though, I have been sidestepping an issue -- a lack of feature parity between platforms. I switched from Android to iOS a few years ago. My wife is still going strong on Android. While I read about some features that were available exclusively, on the iOS app, it wasn't until I switched from Android that truly realized the disparity between the the iOS and Android apps. I cannot speak for the feature set on Windows Phone, but I suspect there may be the same issue.

The issue first came to my attention when Evernote released Hello. The business card scanning feature wasn't available for Android devices, and then when business card scanning was added to the main Evernote app for iOS, the feature wasn't added to the Android app. This was a major disappointment to users, like my wife, who get tons of business cards and could have used that feature to quickly capture contact information and not be bogged down with business cards. Once I switched to an iPhone, I kept an eye on the differences between the main Evernote app, and there are many, as well as some of Evernote's offshoot apps--most recently Scannable.

There is no point in begging iOS-first developers to care about Android. They are happy with their App-store money and don’t make a lot from the Play Store. In a way, if you ditch them for lack of Android support, that will just further their argument of the lack of earnings from the Android platform.
    There really is nothing you can do other than looking for replacements by developers who care about Android and about being cross-platform.
    You sure as hell shouldn’t pay a company 40 bucks a year if they don’t support one of the OS you use.

Thanks. I have contemplated going back to Android, and must admit that one of the primary reasons I haven’t switched back is the app experience. It seems like most apps have leveled out, but a number of apps that I use regularly don’t have the same features on Android as they do on iOS.
    I agree that ditching iOS apps could, possibly, give support for developers saying "See…we don’t have enough of an Android user base to support development and/or parity of apps for that platform.
    I have grown increasingly tired of this gap in app experience between the two platforms, and find it ridiculous that developers seem to be lending to the Hatfield/McCoy situation in mobile OS camps.

As in "your first comment is pretty much the correct response."

Another good free software is paint.net. It's pretty powerful and easy to learn.