Thread: opensource CRM programs: comparison and opinions

opensource CRM programs: comparison and opinions

Hi, CRMs are an interesting and wide issue, especially in opensource. I'm testing 3 popular applications (VTIGER, VTECRM, SUGAR) and I would like to collect stuff about features, comparison, users opinion, trying to organize an useful summary. I'm reading several web sources with discussions about CRMs. Right now I'm working with VTIGER and VTECRM.
    Feel free to answer with your opinions.

The only one of those I’ve seen is Sugar and that only as a demo. It seemed pretty useful but , as usual with these things, the cost isn’t in the base package but in the customisations and the danger with these is most of the opensource packages have "partners" who do the customisations which are often not well documented or are proprietary so , if the partner goes out of business, you are left in the lurch . Our IT/Accounts people regularly get companies pushing this sort of thing but have stuck rigidly with Sage for some time. Better the devil you know, etc.
    Having said that Sage have done some really nice updates recently particularly for mobile use.
    Sorry I cant be of more help.

@ Dr Strange: thanks to your answer, I understand your point but I think this is realistic for smaller "homemade" systems, not extensively used and maybe which don’t respect the standards.
    Soon I will post my comparison summary.

During last 2 weeks I worked on Vtiger Free 6.3.0 and VTECRM Community 15.05. I already know and use these software but mostly in previous versions, so I want to get the "state of the art" of them now. I know that recently they have been updated and improved. CRM are almost a passion for me I’ll try Sugar after, now I begin comparing these two systems that are very similar.
    Here you are the links if you are curious:
    VTE: www.vtecrm.com/products/vte-on-premise/download/
    Vtiger: www.vtiger.com/open-source-downloads/
    1. Comparing general tools and browsing
    Graphic interface and navigation logic: are very similar so it’s easy to compare the two systems.
    Modules included as default (modules I can access, not just tools): Vtiger 30, VTE 35.
    Menus: are very similar, but in Vtiger there’s only the module menu, not a tools menu like in VTE, which I think is very useful to access the personal tools from everywhere in the CRM (especially notifications, emails, talks). In both the systems I can customize the main menu, Vtiger’s has more shortcuts to common settings tool.
    Customization of the graphic theme: better on Vtiger (I can choose from 9 colors), but that’s not so important.
    User preferences: quite similar as well, but VTE’s user can define for which modules and which kind of record changes the notifications are enabled or disabled. As default the notifications are internal (a panel from the tool menu) so they are not invasive and I can mark them as read/unread (like emails).
    Round 1: VTE wins thanks to its tools menu and user preferences.

Summary of Round 1 (useful for a quick view)
    Number of accessible modules: VTE 35, Vtiger 30
    Graphic theme and menu customization : VTE less, Vtiger more
    Modules menu with modules and areas: VTE yes, Vtiger yes
    Tools and shortcuts menu: VTE yes, Vtiger no
    Notifications setting per user: VTE yes, Vtiger no
    2. Comparing the tools on data
    As I said before, VTE and Vtiger are quite similar, so I’m finding many functions on both software: data assignation (propriety) to a user or group of users, mass editing on selected records, control of duplicates with merge function, import and export of data via csv, simple and advanced research within a module or between modules, simple filters to extract lists of records, quick creation of related records, the change-log of the record, attaching documents to a record (for example the customer’s sheet).
    There are also considerable differences in the data management between VTE and Vtiger: VTE provides more functions.
    Related contents menu (data in the other modules that are linked with the one you are on): both systems have it, but only VTE provides a dynamic menu which shows a) the number of related records (for example I read Quotes 3 if there are three quotes related to the customer), and b) the descending order of modules according to their content. This means less clicks to find and access contents.
    Advanced filters: based on dynamic data ranges or reports, provide more options to extract lists of records.
    Personal notification of changes on filters and records: within each record or filter I can enable notifications that I receive every time a change happens (does not matter the assignation), useful for work lists (like: alert me when a new lead appears in the list).
    Clicks needed to view, open, add contents: I noticed that are less in VTE, more in Vtiger.

Right now I'm working with VTIGER and VTECRM.