Thread: Canon to Nikon - Please share experiences

Canon to Nikon - Please share experiences

Anybody moved from Canon to Nikon? Please share your experience.

Yes, me a few years ago. Best photographic decision I ever made - I find their focus systems far superior, the cameras and lenses are more robust, super happy with the move. Went from 40D/7D and having used 5D and 1D3 with a bunch of L lenses to D700 and 16-35, 24-70, 70-200, 50 1.8. My in focus rate went from 40% to 98% (approx). Nikon controls are quite different from Canon, they take some time to get used to. Once you do they're fine. People who want to argue with me - please don't bother. This is my opinion and experience as a professional photographer, please respect it, as I will respect the opinion and experience of anyone else.

I respect your decision, but I must call into question an AF rate of 40%. Did you return your equipment to Canon for repair? I simply cannot understand anyone putting up with such incredibly awful autofocus.

May have been a bit higher than that, but for example with a 7D and 24-105 or 17-55 doing family group shots on a tripod, single centre focus point, only one or two of five shots would be perfectly in focus. Not all the time, but fairly regularly this kind of thing happened, I had to be REALLY careful in post. Note that I have high standards, I mean really sharp. Strangely the 7D worked better with moving subjects in low light than midday sun. I spent massive amounts of time on this for a couple of years until a few years ago when I switched. Everything went to CPS multiple times (they were absolutely useless), focus charts, tripods, calibration methods, etc, etc. I'm an engineer, careful and precise. I researched focus systems, how to use them, and my technique was good. When I moved to Nikon, with the same methods, everything was in focus. Canon may have improved by now, but they lost my trust.

I spent massive amounts of time on this for a couple of years until a few years ago when I switched. Everything went to CPS multiple times (they were absolutely useless), focus charts, tripods, calibration methods, etc, etc. I'm an engineer, careful and precise. I researched focus systems, how to use them, and my technique was good. When I moved to Nikon, with the same methods, everything was in focus. Canon may have improved by now, but they lost my trust.