Thread: Windows Vista v.6.0 on HP G60-123CL Notebook running very slowly

Windows Vista v.6.0 on HP G60-123CL Notebook running very slowly

Startup takes forever and the overall running of applications is like watching paint dry. I know it's an old computer/OS but I'm just curious if there is anything I might want to do to see if I can get it running a bit better. Appreciate any assistance on this.

I'm sure you will get some answers but Support for Vista is ending soon (April 2017) and therefore you might consider a new Operating System. I don't know if it would be worth buying Windows 7 for that machine, especially if the Hardrive has lots of wear, and the processor is not all that powerful.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...cle-fact-sheet

Another option would be to install a free Linux OS on it. This will be very different from Windows but will work very well on that pc.

If you are interested go to the Linux Section and ask some questions. Most importantly, the things you do the most, what is the most important functions you use daily.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/11/linux-unix/

Thanks for the response. That is my exact PC.

You might give this a read, I quite like it. If you decide to move forward please ask questions first, it could save you some headaches. As you will read, you can give a Linux OS a try without even installing, or effecting your Vista OS. This is best done by using a program that will create a Linux Live Session that can be booted from a USB, or Burning the Linux iso Image to a DVD, but the USB will be a little faster running. Neither will be as fast as when it is installed to the Hard Drive, but will give you an idea of just how good Linux is. Also, it's is very easy and quick to install compared to Windows including Updates, quite Malware Resistant also.

I've looked into Linux on your suggestion and am looking at the Mint distro or the Puppy distro. Which of the two would you recommend for someone going in for the first time?