Thread: Adventure Vs RPG's

Adventure Vs RPG's

I am a current student studying Creative Media and Production and as a task I was informed that I would have to create a game.
    After completing a range of research about the market I am still having problems in deciding which genre of game would appeal more to my audience of teenagers and young adults ranging from 12-21.
    Should i choose:
    - An adventure game where the player has to complete a range of levels in order to unravel stories, explore worlds and solve puzzles.
    - A Role Playing game where the player can see the world through a different characters eyes in order to complete a range of different tasks.
    Your advise would be much appreciated

Adventure Vs RPG's

Technically both of what you described are very similar to each other. By those descriptions alone, you could call a game like Super Mario World both of those kinds of games on the surface.
    What kind of RPG are you trying to make? I would imagine that an RPG would require a lot more work as there is more to the mechanics unless the movement restrictions are very simple a la JRPGs with no jump mechanics or constant direct world interaction.

Adventure Vs RPG's

Adventure and RPG are so closely related. RPGs are adventure games.
    It’s the distinction between types of RPGs that’s really worth noting. ARPGs, JRPGs, SRPGs.

Adventure Vs RPG's

When you get into these different classes, you really have a discussion.

Adventure Vs RPG's

I personally prefer SRPGs, like the classic Final Fantasy Tactics.