Thread: Changing Windows Operating Sytem

Changing Windows Operating Sytem

I currently run Win XP Pro SP3 and am considering changing over to Win7 as all support for Win XP will stop next year.

I have over 100 program files in Win XP. I assume I can't just transfer these to Win7 from Win XP. What is the best way of doing this.

many of them will not work, each will have to be installed individually and tested. It's one hell of a job.

You need to ascertain whether your machine can actually run Win7 well also...

There's no easy fix.

edit: there is XP compatibility mode and XP mode (which is a MS proprietry VM) which may help run many things that just won't run normally.

There is no direct upgrade from Windows XP to 7. It will be a clean install, i.e. disk wiped. There is the Windows Easy Transfer app which will copy your documents and settings (to an external HDD or whatever), but not program files. It will list what programs were installed on XP, but of course you will have to re-install them after the upgrade.

To do a smooth, easy change...I would just dual-boot (XP and Win 7) and install programs leisurely or at my convenience. A dual-boot gives you the convenience of a working app if the Win 7 conversion does not allow the app to run properly...and you can install apps on Win 7 at your own convenience.

When the conversion is over...just delete the XP partition, after making sure that you have all data files and programs desired.

Please download MiniToolBox, and save it to your desktop and run it, and checkmark the following checkboxes:
    • List Installed Programs
    • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
    Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.