Thread: Connection Bars on bottom of screen disappeared

Connection Bars on bottom of screen disappeared

Not sure I'm posting this in the correct forum, but I am running W7.

It started out this afternoon with the internet connection going out, for me, but not the rest of the household. The bars on bottom right had a yellow icon over it. It did however show that the network was connected to the internet.

I called Comcast and their reset the modum. Strangely, even though I have great connection now the bar icon never came back. It is the outline of a box with a red X over it, and a 3-prongued symbol on the left to it, similar to the plug symbol that indicates the laptop is plugged in.

Is this something I should worry about? Does it mean my laptop is dying?

Thanks, but that's the first thing I tried. And just to quote myself: "Strangely, even though I have great connection now the bar icon never came back. It is the outline of a box with a red X over it, and a 3-prongued symbol on the left to it, similar to the plug symbol that indicates the laptop is plugged in." This is my however inept description of what has taken the place of the status bars. So, it's not solved by the little maneuver you illustrate. The status bars have morphed into something else, and my worry is that it might indicate some impending problem with the inner workings of my laptop.

Post a screen shot of your desktop.

How to make a screenshot

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot.

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot.

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.

Rebuild your icon cache...then reboot.